CFCT-logo

History of the Trust

150 years ago, in 1862, Sir James Colyer-Fergusson’s grandfather, the 2nd Baronet, left Scotland and moved to Kent where he married Mary Colyer, a Kentish heiress.  From that time onwards the Colyer-Fergusson family lived in Kent.  In 1969 Sir James, realising that he was the last person to bear the family name, established the Colyer-Fergusson Charitable Trust.  He wanted the Trust to make a lasting difference to the people of Kent.   In the early years of the Charitable Trust the bulk of funding was made available to many of the historic churches of Kent helping to restore their fabric and where possible promote local communities.  During his final years, shortly before his death in 2004, Sir James supported the trustees as they extended the scope of their grant giving to more general charitable purposes across the County.  Recent priority areas for grant funding have been: community safety projects; support for vulnerable and isolated older people; the integration of asylum seekers; the provision of respite care breaks for carers; assistance for young people leaving care; and the promotion of active living.